Saturday, August 27, 2011

Andes Excursion

Yesterday my group took a trip through the Andes Mountains. Our goal was to find snow…and we did! When we woke up at 7:00 in the morning it was already almost 80 degrees outside and sunny. I hardly believed our group leader when she told me to bring my North Face, one of my warmest fleece jackets, but after riding on the bus for several hours I started to shiver.

We stopped on the way up the mountains at two places. First, to see this view…



and second, to take a closer look at this lonely mountainside stone church.



After that I didn’t think it could get any more beautiful…

until we got higher up in the mountains.

We finally reached a high enough elevation that we could see snow and sleet (thank you mom for the rain jacket!), and I could see my breath, so we stopped for lunch and a hot chocolate at this little mountain restaurant.


I was starving at this point and was definitely not disappointed with my meal: traditional Venezuelan soup with potatoes, mild white cheese, and cilantro


and chicken in mushroom sauce with seasoned potatoes and “arroz con vino tinto”


After eating, we continued on to our destination and finally reached the snowy peaks of the Andes!

There are really no words to describe what I saw, but what I will never forget the way I felt - thrilled, overwhelmed, a little dizzy from the elevation, and very very cold.

The Andes Mountains are now at the top of my list of most beautiful places in the world.


Snowballs.


Mountain climbers.


Monster flowers.


Winter lake.


Foggy.


Rainbow hat.


Rock sculpture.


All in all, it was an excessive amount of beauty to absorb in one day. I think I still feel the adrenaline.


“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page”        - St. Augustine.


What I’m thinking right now: nothing tops traveling and seeing things you NEVER expected to witness with your own eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment