Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fall in Minnesota

A perfect fall day spent with Helen.

Two things that have been on my mind a lot lately (and are also some of my favorite things come September):

1) Fall in Minnesota

2) Espresso

...which brings me to this pumpkin spice latte. I hope my fellow Minnesotans are willing to attempt to make one in my honor (or just grab one at Starbucks when they're in season) and enjoy it for me!

I did recently find a café near my house that has espresso, so things are looking up for me this "fall", but nothing here comes close to the brisk air, changing leaves, and favorite sweaters that make up Autumn in Minnesota. And for me, nothing says "Autumn in Minnesota" like sitting down with a pumpkin spice latte (and usually a pile of textbooks) at my favorite coffee shop.

At least now I have what I can call my favorite coffee shop (and I definitely have a pile of homework to take along), so my last task is to find a favorite fall substitute for the pumpkin spice latte.

With only one class tomorrow, I'm sure I can find time to begin the taste testing.

Wish me luck!




Pumpkin Spice Latte

Slightly adapted from The Kitchn

Makes one serving

  • 1 cup milk (I used skim, but I’m sure whole would be even better)

  • 1 tablespoon canned pumpkin

  • 2 teaspoons sugar

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (This makes one teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg)

  • 1 shot of espresso (about 1/4 cup)

Directions

1. Make the espresso.

2. In a small saucepan, combine milk, pumpkin, and sugar. Cook over medium heat, until steaming.

3. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and spice. Transfer to blender and pulse for about 15 seconds. The mixture should be foamy.

4. Add to cup and top with espresso. I sprinkled a little extra spice on top.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, you will be happy to know that the Starbucks in Stadium Village is expanding by and additional 400 sq feet! Much more latte elbow room when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine, you should know that that made my day! If I'm not careful I'll end up with a Platinum Starbucks card...

    ReplyDelete