Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fútbol.

In Venezuela, fútbol is like the mountains, the plants and the storms....

WILD.

And very different from the U.S.

I went to my first "soccer" game ever in South America on Sunday, and I definitely got a taste of the latin american fútbol scene. The passion these people have for the game of soccer is incredible. My favorite example of this is the huge sign I saw hanging from the fence surrounding the soccer field. It said "pasión y locura" - passion and craziness.

This is what a fútbol stadium looks like in Mérida, Venezuela.



And this is what a football stadium looks like in Minneapolis, Minnesota.



It is an amazing feeling to be sitting in the stands on a beautiful, warm, Venezuela evening gazing at the mountains that seem to be swallowing you up from every direction.

And it is an entirely different feeling to be freezing your butt off at TCF Bank Stadium with your friends, watching the Gophers play and smiling when you look up at that oh-so-familiar skyline in the distance.

But they are both exhilerating and give me a rush when I think about them. One makes me realize how lucky I am, how far away I am, and what an incredible experience I'm having.

The other makes me nostalgic, proud, and greatful to have the best family, school and friends in the world waiting for me when I come home to winter in Minnesota.

Needless to say, it would be impossible to forget either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment