Saturday, November 19, 2011

Flashback

Every once in a while, I see something here in Venezuela that gives me a flashback to Uganda.

When I pulled the instant coffee off of the shelf today, for a second I was back on the porch of a guesthouse in Uganda, making instant coffee to drink with my breakfast before heading to the elementary school to work. When I snapped out of it, I started thinking about all of the similarities that exist between Uganda and Venezuela. That seems unlikely, right? Well, I've found that it's not, even though they are on different continents, speak different languages, have different climates and very different people. There are a number of things that are similar, so I dug through my photos for some examples.

Uganda - Avocado, banana and passion fruit.





Venezuela - Avocado and banana (we also drink passion fruit juice here!)



Uganda - Colorful streets.



Venezuela - Colorful walls.



Uganda - Outdoor market. Colorful, busy and beautiful.







Venezuela - Indoor market. Cluttered and colorful.







 Uganda - Purple hanging plant.



Venezuela - Purple ground plant.



Uganda - Fiery sky over the Nile River.



Venezuela - Fiery sky over el Rio Chama.



I love it when I smell cinnamon or instant coffee and it takes me right back to being in Uganda, even if it's only for a split second. It happens every once in a while, and it always makes me smile. Three months later, it almost seems like a dream that I was ever there. I would love to go back someday to re-experience that unique feeling of excitement and wonder that came with being in such a different world...and then I could smell the cinnamon and instant coffee for longer than a few seconds and really take it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment